Enroll for my 4-day FREE “Manifest more impact, money & success” with your business challenge
Sign up now and start in your own time.
Imposter syndrome in female business owners is nothing new. Imposter syndrome is a common phenomenon that affects many people, especially women in business. It is a feeling of self-doubt and inadequacy, despite evidence of one’s competence and accomplishments. Imposter syndrome can be particularly challenging for female business owners, who often face unique challenges in the business world.
Studies have shown that up to 70% of people will experience imposter syndrome at some point in their careers. This can lead to negative self-talk, self-doubt, and a lack of confidence. It can also hold women back from pursuing their dreams and achieving their business goals.
As women in general, and as heart-centered female business owners or soulpreneur, as I like to call myself, we are generally prone to feel like imposters most, if not all of the time. Is this you?
With every single one of my heart-desired projects or ideas, whenever the time came to birth these, I would freeze. I would doubt putting my creations out there.
It could be small things like sending a newsletter out. It could be something huge like publishing my book “Universe & You: 11 Steps To Co-Create The Life You Desire” or my poetry collection “When A Wild Woman Rises” thereafter and everything in between.
In fact, within that poetry book is one of my poems that describes my essence well:
Imposter Syndrome in female business owners is especially tough when they are HSP’s.
My default state is one of desiring to be behind the scenes as an introvert and HSP (highly sensitive soul). As such, putting myself out there, day by day, is not what I’m intrinsically good at.
The truth is, part of my fear of being seen, is my fear of being seen as an imposter, a fraud, which of course there is no substance to it. I have been in business for over a decade already. I have been creating an impact each year. And as I grew so did my business and my impact. The impact I am making today looks nothing like the impact I was making in my early days.
However, how can we as female business owners cure this nasty imposter syndrome? Is there such a thing as a cure?
I wish there was. I wish I could tell you: “Hey, do this and your imposter virus will leave forever.”
However, what I found has helped me a lot during my journey was to:
Believe that I am nothing but a vessel for the divine to send a love letter to the world. You can read my blog entry about it here.
The knowing that I can create an impact at every stage of my life. My Higher Self told me one day: “Look at the iPhone models. Steve Jobs put version 1 out there and it created an impact, didn’t it? That first model looked nothing like the versions now and the functionality was far more reduced. Yet, what happens when you dedicate your life to one goal? You will achieve self-mastery and keep creating and birthing more beautiful and more powerful products, services, or messages the world needs to hear.”
So. If you are a newbie female business owner just about to birth your first project, book, or service: be proud. No need to feel like an imposter. You can allow yourself to thrive in your “phase 1” while simultaneously knowing that there will be many other versions of whatever it is you are creating and each will be better. But appreciating where you’re at right now is key. Steve Jobs couldn’t have created the iPhone 13 right away. Let go of your perfectionism.
My top cure to combat imposter syndrome, however, is to write an impact affirmation and to read it often
Imposter syndrome in female business owners can be overcome! I wrote my own impact affirmation that felt wonderful while I was writing it and certainly motivated and inspired me to keep going whenever I faced a tough time or a few weeks where I would rather want to hide and not face the world. This is the affirmation I wrote below:
In case you would love to write your own impact affirmation to supercharge your impact as a female business owner, here is what I recommend you to do:
- Invoke a higher force, whatever that higher force is for you: the Universe, Source, God, infinite intelligence, Allah, Buddha, your Higher Self. By invoking it, I mean ask for it to be present with you right now.
- Get a piece of paper, a journal or if you write digitally get your device, however, know that there is a certain magic, a power that happens when you write things manually with a pen versus on a keyboard.
- Write a letter to this higher power by starting with dear… and then request the help of this loving force with whatever it is you are currently struggling with in your business. Being seen? Creating more impact? Stopping to shy away from selling your offers? Being more authentic and vulnerable in how you show up? Whatever it is, just write it down.
- Beautiful. How did you feel while writing it? Now, if you want to, as a final step, you can create a beautiful impact affirmation picture by signing up for canva.com. They have a free account version for which you don’t need to pay.
- Once done, you can download as a jpeg and save it to your phone or even print it out and hang it up on the wall.